- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 (8oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) real butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
The Best Red Velvet Cupcakes
YIELD: 12 Cupcakes
PREP TIME: 10 Minutes
COOK TIME: 20 Minutes
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and place 14 silicone baking cups on a baking sheet, set aside.
Combine: sugar, egg, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract into a large bowl and whisk or beat on low until incorporated and smooth.
In a small bowl sift or whisk together, flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
Incorporate dry and wet ingredients together till just combined, then mix in food coloring to your desired shade. No more than 2 tablespoons.
Fill silicone baking cups 3/4 full and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Allow to slightly cool before removing cups, and set cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting.
In a stand mixer or medium bowl with a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter till creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip on high 2 minutes, then place in a piping bag and frost cupcakes as desired, top with desired sprinkles/decorations.